WE RECOMMEND THE THINGS TO BRING. BE A MINIMALISTIC. WHILE BIKEPACKING THE GEAR SPACE IS LIMITED AND YOU’LL APPRECIATE THE ULTRALIGHT SETUP ON THE HILL CLIMBS. LESS IS MORE.
(wear this while riding)
• Sun hat
• Sun glasses
• a T-shirt
• a MTB shorts
• a pair of Cycling Gloves and Arm Warmers
• a pair of cycling Padding Liner
• a pair of Socks
• Cycling / Hiking Boots
(wear this while camping, to pack in the seatpost bag)
• Small Wash Kit and Pocket Towel (toothbrush, soap, toothpaste etc)
• Ultralight packable Down Jacket (example)
• Ultralight packable Breathable Rain Jacket (example)
• Sandals or FYF Socks (FYF are very compact)
• Shorts or UX2 Compression Tights
• Waterproof Socks (example)
(Gear To Be Packed In Camelbak)
• (money, credit card). Remember to tell you bank that you will be in Vietnam and Laos, so your card won’t be blocked.
• Passport (with 1-month multi-entry Vietnam visa). Don’t worry about Laos we cover that visa cost on the tour.
• Any personal meds you need
Optional Gear To Bring
• Your Bike Seat (otherwise we provide Infinity Seat)
• Clip in Pedals (otherwise we provide non-clip Pedals)
• Camelbak backpack with minimum 3 liter (otherwise we provide Camelbak Skyline LR10)
• Garmin GPS or Garmin Inreach or Spot Gen3 (otherwise we provide Garmin GPS 64 with the detailed map)
Things Not To Bring
• Work Stress
• The Ex Wife/Husband
• The Kids (unless over 18 as insurance won’t cover)
Some Tips From Of Our International Riders
Your 1-month Multi Entry Visa In Vietnam
Knowing the bike is already setup and ready, only thing to add was my spare clothes, wash kit, some personal meds and my passport with online multi-entry visa in Vietnam, which was easy enough to get. Here is the link they suggested to me. When you arrive at immigration don’t go straight to the line like I did. After queuing 30 minutes I handed my invitation letter (printed out from email pdf), the officer told me to go and fill in form then had to re-queue again lol. Once you arrive, fill the arrival form, then go to “Visa On Arrival”, hand them your invitation letter and obtain your visa, then get in passport control line. You save a lot of time.
Your Personal Budget
As per my own experience with other travel companies in Asia, I’ve budgeted $20 a day knowing everything is included. However, I’ve spent only few dollars on sunglasses and on the colored pencils for the local kids presents. By near end of the trip I realized I had barely spent anything of my budget. As when they say everything is included they mean it. So, I picked up some hand-made local dresses in one of the village as gifts for my wife and two daughters and still had plenty cash left over.
Arriving With Your Luggage
Ensure you taking minimum gear on The Ho Chi Minh Trails tour as the bikepacking setup already includes all necessary gear, except your personal clothes. Left my suitcase in the first hotel before jumping on the bike and picked it back up when arrived without any charge.
Prepare For The Ho Chi Minh Trails Tour
Fitness level was not so critical as I thought I cycle a few times a week, however sun exposure was well underestimated and kicked me. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring arm covers, but it was easy enough to find those on the local market for couple dollars the night before we left on tour. Just make sure you read the preparation checklist before flying out. And drink lots of water on the trail.
What is included on your Ho Chi Minh Trails tour package.
THE SHORT ANSWER IS "ALMOST EVERYTHING."
- Da Nang Airport (DAD) transfer to the hotel
- Arrival night accommodation in Novotel 5-star, Da Nang
- Welcome group Dinner & beers at Vietnamese local restaurant
- Transfer to the drop-off point + meals & drinks
- Western guides (owners) all EFR Instructors riding with group
- Luggage storage in the hotel
- Fully insured up to USD 5 million
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner on the trail
- Detailed route planning GPS map of the trail
- Riding with group
- Visa fee for Laos
- Single supplement. Every customer gets his own exclusive suit at the Novotel 5-star, Da Nang.
- Drinks including alcohol on occasion
- Alubooyah fatbike
- Complete self-supported bikepacking setup
- Kokopelli Rogue Lite packraft
- Admission fees into river caves and national parks
- Tour description, travel materials
- Last night accommodation in Novotel 5-star, Da Nang
- Da Nang Airport (DAD) transfer from the hotel
WHAT IS EXCLUDED
- International and Domestic flights to / from Da Nang, Vietnam
- Multi-visa to Vietnam
- Personal expenses
- Tips for guides
- Any services not mentioned in itinerary